Travel in 2070 will be so much different than today, a recent report from Europe’s leading futurists and experts from the worlds of aerospace, innovation, and engineering says.
Predictions have been made in easyJet 2070: The Future Travel Report about what travel might look like in fifty years’ time, from choosing and booking your vacation to how the airport and flight experience may be transformed. The report also provided a look into the potential types of accommodations available and activities that could be enjoyed while traveling in the 2070s.
Biomimetic sensory plane seats, optoelectronic inflight entertainment beamed directly to passengers’ eyes, and digital vacation holiday concierges will be the norm by then.
As the experts who compiled this report show, the rapid advancement of new technology will be the driver for the next generation of travel over the coming half-century.
easyJet 2070: The Future Travel Report highlights:
Among the highlights of the report are:
- Heartbeat and biometric passports will replace the traditional passport, for passengers to breeze through the airport. Much like fingerprints and the retina, every person’s cardiac signature is unique. Passengers’ heartbeat signatures and biometric details will be logged on a global system in the same way fingerprint scanning technology works today.
- Ergonomic and biomimetic sensory plane seats will become the norm, with smart materials adapting to passengers’ body shape, height, weight, and temperature, providing the ultimate tailored comfort flying experience.
- Inflight entertainment will be beamed directly in front of passenger’s eyes, via optoelectronic devices, replacing the need for onboard screens or downloading movies before you fly.
- e-VTOL air taxis will do away with the airport car park shuttle – the journey to the airport will be quicker and more convenient than ever before with 85% of passengers arriving by e-VTOLs from their homes to the terminal.
As technology advances, we will see significant advances in the accommodation experience abroad:
- 3D printed hotel buffet food will allow holidaymakers to 3D print whatever they want to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner while reducing food waste.
- Subterranean hotels, super energy efficient and at one with the environment, will be built into the fabric of the earth.
- All hotel rooms will be smart rooms with beds already pre-made to exactly desired firmness and ambient temperature, and favorite music playing based upon preferences you select in advance of booking the holiday.
- A holographic personal holiday concierge will accompany holidaymakers to provide up-to-date destination information and assistance throughout their stay.
- 3D printed, recyclable holiday clothes on arrival at the hotel will remove the need for suitcases and fast holiday fashion, as travelers can print the clothes required in their hotel rooms, tailored to their perfect fit and style, and recycle the materials for the next guest to enjoy.
- Human-powered hotels will harvest energy from their guests’ footsteps in order to generate power
Innovations in destination will be on offer to travelers:
- ‘Time-travelling’ holiday experiences – tomorrow’s travelers will be able to holiday in the past by wearing haptic suits at historical sites that enable them to immerse themselves in live historical surroundings, marveling at wonders of the ancient world like the Colossus of Rhodes during a stroll in Rhodes Town, or cheering among the crowds of the original Olympic Games in Ancient Greece.
- Try before you buy – bionic and Meta holiday previews ahead of going on vacation that allow you to experience locations before booking them
- Underwater ‘sea-faris’ – aquatic adventures on board submarines for tourists deep beneath the sea discovering marine life in underwater marine parks
- Local language in-ear devices will be available to take on vacation to translate the local language in real-time and enable us to speak the local lingo
- E-foiling, cable skiing, and flyboarding will become the norm on offer for rent on the beach front, truly taking water sports to another level.