Calamos Supports Greece
GreekReporter.comGreek NewsGreece Sends Five Planes with Humanitarian Aid to Turkey

Greece Sends Five Planes with Humanitarian Aid to Turkey

Greece Turkey humanitarian aid
Greece provides 7,500 blankets, 1,500 beds and 500 tents. Credit: AMNA

Greece is sending five aircraft with humanitarian aid to Turkey to deal with the immediate consequences of the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck the country in the early hours of February 6.

The first two flights arrived at dawn on Thursday in Adana. The Greek aid was accompanied by the Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection Christos Stylianidis and the secretary general of the ministry.

Stylianidis then returned to Greece to oversee the dispatch of three more flights.

Through the European Civil Protection Mechanism, Greece will provide health and medical equipment and basic necessities, such as 7,500 blankets, 1,500 beds and 500 tents, which can accommodate families and be used as mobile clinics.

According to the Climate Crisis and Civil Protection Ministry, Aegean Airlines are carrying out the five flights in order to transfer all equipment as soon as possible.

The mission is carried out in consultation with the Turkish authorities, with the assistance of the Turkish ambassador in Athens, and in cooperation with the European Commission, in the framework of the activation of the European Civil Protection Mechanism.

It is noted that the cost of transporting the equipment will be covered by 75 percent by the European Civil Protection Mechanism, while the remaining 25 percent of the national participation will be sponsored by Aegean airlines.

Greece aids Turkey with a search and rescue team

Greece has also sent a team of EMAK – the Greek fire corps’s special units for disasters – that is continuing the arduous battle to save lives.

At least 15,000 people are confirmed dead in Turkey and northern Syria. Thousands of survivors have spent a third night in freezing conditions, with hope fading for many trapped under the rubble.

Visiting Kahramanmaraş, which was at the epicenter of the quake, Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said “On the first day we experienced some issues, but then on the second day and today the situation is under control”.

Erdoğan promised the government aimed to build housing within one year for those left without a home in the 10 provinces affected.

The leader of Turkey’s main opposition party, Kemal Kilicdaroglu disagreed. “If there is one person responsible for this, it is Erdogan,” he said.

See all the latest news from Greece and the world at Contact our newsroom to report an update or send your story, photos and videos. Follow GR on Google News and subscribe here to our daily email!

Related Posts