Eleni Ratnayka won the third prize, the Ovarian Cancer Award, at the International Mrs World Australia competition last month. Eleni is a 25 year old Greek Cypriot and entered the competition –which is exclusively for married women- as she is married with two children.
– How long have you been modeling for?
– Since I was 19-20 years old. I did modeling for Grand Prix, Auto Salons, and many other companies. It has always been interesting &
– How old are your children?
The one is 4 and is called Tarren and the other is 4 months old andcalled Kalen.
– I went back to work straight away. I never dieted.I never exercised.
I was just lucky. Even the second time I didn’t get any stretch marks or have any weight issues, so I just continued.
– My mum’s from Cyprus and my Dad’s from mainland Greece and I was born over here. I have only visited Cyprus, not Greece yet.
– I am 25 years old.
-A little bit hard. My husband’s family is overseas. And my Mum works.
Also my husband works all day too. I manage to squeeze it (work) in here & there amongst my household duties. I can’t stop working; there’s no point in wasting time.
– Do you speak Greek at all?
– I understand Greek and can read it, can speak it but not fluently and I don’t speak it at all at home
– To whom would you like to dedicate the award you received?
-The award I won is for everyone that helped by donating and also for those that have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer
– You’ve mentioned you work with youth in your Melbourne suburb- what
is it exactly that you do?
-I mentor youth and would like to lead the young on the right path
– How important do you think a woman’s appearance is? Especially one with children?
– A women’s appearance is really only important to how the individual feels about how comfortable they are in their own skin and have a choice to modify their appearance with make-up etc which can help them feel better,although in reality you are judged by others upon your physical appearance. After having children it’s important to take care of yourself but as long as you feel good and are healthy then trying to look almost perfect is not necessary. Some people as celebrities have babysitters, nutritionists, personal trainers and can afford to get back into shape and others are naturally able to bounce back to shape with no diet and exercise as myself
– Do you prefer Greek or Sri-lankan food?
– At home I cook all types of food and so we not only enjoy Greek and Sri Lankan food although I think Sri Lankan is my preference
– What do you hope to achieve by winning the Ovarian Cancer award?
– By winning the ovarian cancer award I hope to spread awareness of this cancer further and to help those diagnosed and surviving
– What are your current projects? Any future projects?
– I’m still deciding on my future and what I prosper to continue with
– Any culture conflicts in the family (Greek Sri-lankan)?
-Their are no culture or religious conflicts, my husbands Buddhist and I’m orthodox but we just believe in giving and being good people and thats the most important aspect of any religion I believe.
– Thanks so much for your time, Eleni and all the best!
See all the latest news from Greece and the world at Greekreporter.com. Contact our newsroom to report an update or send your story, photos and videos. Follow GR on Google News and subscribe here to our daily email!