Cristiano Ronaldo has signed for Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr in a deal that is reportedly the biggest football salary in history at $75 million per year.
The deal understood to run to 2025, ends a brief free agency period for the 37-year-old, whose Manchester United contract was terminated last month.
The 37-year-old Portuguese star says he is “eager to experience a new football league in a different country”.
Ronaldo added: “I am fortunate that I have won everything I set out to win in European football and feel now that this is the right moment to share my experience in Asia.”
— نادي النصر السعودي (@AlNassrFC) December 30, 2022
Al Nassr – nine-time Saudi Pro League champions – described the signing as “history in the making”.
The club said it would “inspire our league, nation and future generations, boys and girls to be the best version of themselves”.
Recently, Ronaldo revealed he turned down an incredible $3.6 million-a-week offer to play for another Saudi club, believed to be Al-Nassr’s rival, Al-Hilal.
Inter Miami were also believed to be interested in Ronaldo with owner David Beckham reportedly holding talks with the 37-year-old.
The logistics behind Ronaldo’s move to Saudi Arabia have long since been firmed up by the club, including a home for the striker and his family in an affluent area close to the training ground.
In addition to a salary worth well in excess of $ 1 million a week, Ronaldo’s earnings could more than double through the sale of his image rights.
Ronaldo to have a role in the Saudi-Egypt-Greece bid for 2030 World Cup
The governments of all three countries have apparently given the green light to push on with the application process for what would be the second winter staging of the World Cup after Qatar.
According to reports, most of the costs will be borne by the Saudis, with the majority of matches staged in their country.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has sent the joint nomination file to a company in the United States for “processing,” according to Greek website TO10.