The luxurious Venetian palace that hosted the wedding party of George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin belonged to a noble family of Greek origin.
The palace was built in 1550 by the family of wealthy merchants and seamen of “Cochinna.” They assigned to the architect Gian Giacomo de Grigi its construction.
Nicolas Papadopoulos (Niccolò Papadopoli), who in 1905 changed his surname to Papadopoli Aldobrandini, was an Italian politician.
He came from an aristocratic family of Greek origin and in 1905 got permission to add his name to the last name of his wife, Maddalena Aldobrandini, who was the daughter of a wealthy family of intellectuals.
The couple then bought the famous palace, which became known as Palazzo Papadopoli.
Papadopoulos has published several studies and had a great coin collection which is now housed in the museum.
From its construction until 1837, when it passed to the Papadopoli family, the palace changed several owners who have created impressive libraries and gathered priceless art treasures from across the world.
Papadopoulos made renovations and bought two adjacent buildings to create gardens, which was unusual for those times.
The Palazzo Papadopoli was one of the first buildings of Venice that had electricity and telephone connection but was also known for its legendary parties.
In 1922, the Palazzo passed to Papadopoulos’ heirs, the noble family Arrivabene Valenti Gonzaga. The top floor was given to the Institute of Marine Sciences from the 1980s to 2005.
In 2007, it was sold to a Swiss company and is now owned by the luxury hotel chain ‘Aman’.
Today, the legendary palace hosted another legendary party. The wedding party of the ‘eternal bachelor’ Clooney and his beloved wife.