Here’s a traditional recipe to make the favorite New Year’s Greek cake aka Vasilopita.
14oz/400gr ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
3FL OZ/90 ml MILK
¼ TEASPOON VANILA
¼ BAKING POWDER
1/2 TEASPOON ORANGE ZEST
Lucky charm (usually a foil-wrapped coin)
- Add in the mixer the butter and sugar and mix for two minutes
- As you are continuing mixing add 4 eggs, milk, baking powder, vanilla, orange zest and mix until absorbed
- Add the flour and mix for three minutes
- Place the cake mix in an oiled-up baking pan
- Take a coing and wrap it in foil, place in the cake mix
- Bake at preheated oven 320°F/160°C for 50 minutes
- Add powdered sugar and design the year
Prepare a gift for the person who will find the winning piece with the lucky coin (flouri), it is said thet will have luck for the whole new year. There are different variations of Vasipolita recipes, here’s another one.
Also read the fascinating legend behind the origins of Vasilopita and watch the video:
Enjoy and Happy New year!!!
The Nostimo Team