Trade relations between the United States and Canada entered a more confrontational phase after Washington imposed 50 percent tariffs on about $20 billion worth of Canadian goods, following the collapse of last-minute negotiations aimed at preventing a further escalation.
The new duties took effect early Saturday, August 22, despite a three-day extension granted by President Donald Trump to give negotiators additional time to reach an agreement. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney responded by announcing dollar-for-dollar retaliatory measures on US products beginning September 8.
Canada plans to target a broad range of American goods, including steel, dairy products, household appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics.
The dispute adds fresh strain to one of the world’s most closely integrated trading relationships. The United States and Canada exchanged about $880 billion in goods and services last year, underscoring the economic stakes for both countries.
US and Canada trade talks collapse as 50% tariffs take effect
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Canada declined to finalize an agreement based on terms discussed earlier in the week. He added on Saturday that Washington had no immediate plans for another round of negotiations.
Greer said the measures were intended to respond to Canadian retaliation while protecting American workers and supply chains. He also maintained that Washington had offered possible tariff relief in sectors that are particularly important to Canada, including steel, automobiles, and lumber.
Ottawa offered a different account of how the negotiations broke down.
Carney said Canada had proposed removing its remaining retaliatory duties on US steel, aluminum, and automobiles if Washington significantly reduced its own tariffs in those sectors. His government was also prepared to encourage Canadian provinces to restore sales of American alcoholic beverages.
The prime minister said the final US proposal demanded concessions that Canada could not accept.
“They asked too much and offered too little,” Carney said.
He also criticized last-minute changes to the US position as economically damaging and unfair, arguing that they raised concerns about the durability of any potential agreement. Carney then suspended the talks and ordered Canada’s trade delegation to return to Ottawa.
Tariffs raise stakes as Ottawa plans retaliation
The new 50 percent duties affect roughly five percent of the goods Canada exports to the United States each year. Products covered range from hockey sticks and certain paper and textile goods to items such as tongue depressors.
The measures do not apply to all Canadian products entering the US.
Before the latest increase, the Trump administration had imposed a 10 percent tariff on Canadian goods. Most Canadian imports, however, continue to qualify for exemptions if they comply with the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA, which Trump signed during his first term.
The American market remains vital to Canada’s economy. Nearly 72 percent of Canadian goods exports went to the United States last year, while Canada ranks as the United States’ second-largest trading partner after Mexico.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford backed Carney’s decision to retaliate, calling for Canada to respond tariff for tariff and dollar for dollar. He also said Ottawa should keep all options available as the dispute develops.
US-Canada tariffs could increase costs for consumers
The economic consequences could extend beyond businesses directly affected by the new trade measures.
US importers pay tariffs when Canadian goods enter the country. Companies can either absorb those additional costs or pass some of them on to consumers through higher prices, potentially adding further pressure to household budgets.
The issue could also carry political consequences ahead of the November US midterm elections, particularly as the cost of living remains a major concern for American voters. Broader economic uncertainty has been compounded by the ongoing war in Iran.
With Canada’s retaliatory measures due to take effect on September 8 and no new negotiations currently scheduled, the dispute could widen further unless Washington and Ottawa return to the negotiating table.
See all the latest news from Greece and the world at Greekreporter.com. Contact our newsroom to report an update or send your story, photos and videos. Follow GR on Google News and subscribe here to our daily email!

