The Greek mogul Aristotle Onassis was born on the 15th of January 1906. Born into a rather wealthy family in Izmir (or as was then known Smyrna), Onassis later grew to become the wealthiest and most famous mogul, businessman, and shipping magnate of the early 20th century, until his death in 1975.
Aristotle was the second born child of Sokrates Onassis, his sister Artemis was born two years before him. His father, Sokrates Onassis, was one of the wealthiest tobacco merchants and entrepreneurs of Izmir. His mother Penelope Dologlou was married at 17 but died at the relatively early age of 33. His grandmother Gesthimani was very religious and hoped her grandchild would be a priest. Therefore, from a very young age he was an altar boy and enjoyed singing Byzantine hymns. As a student though he started drawing away from the church.
After the Asia Minor catastrophe his father was put in prison, their business was taken over by the Turks and their warehouse was burnt down. Having no other choice Aristotle was forced to migrate in search for a better life for him and his family.
Listed below are some of his most famous quotes:
- At your job you must be serious but at life you must be crazy.
- If there weren’t any women all the money in the world wouldn’t matter.
- Never start a job, a battle, or a relationship, if the fear of losing overshadows the prospect of success.
- Take care of your body. Be as good as you can with it. Don’t mind the details. Look at me, I look nothing like a Greek God, but I never wasted my time crying over the bad aspects of myself, remember things are only as bad as you think they are.
- Every win is an injustice to someone.
- The secret in business is knowing something nobody else knows.
- The rule is there is no rules.
- Be either rich or an enemy of the rich. I understand both, but never be envious of the rich and try to please them at the same time.
- After a point, and so on, money stops to matter, it stops being the goal, the game is all that matters.
- To be happy make sure you are tanned, live in expensive buildings, even if you have to stay in the cellar, go out to expensive restaurants, even if you can only afford one drink and if you have to borrow, borrow a lot.
- Crises give birth to moguls.
- I don’t have friends or enemies, I have competitors.
- It is in our darkest moments where we have to focus to see the light.
- You will understand that if you make things easier for others you will earn their liking.
- If someone is mediocre he will pass by unnoticed, if he is outrageously successful, he is suspicious.
- To be successful you have to act big, think big, and talk big.
- My law in business is to be the one buying not selling.
- The more you have the more you know you don’t have.
- I made a big mistake. I never believed that in the world we live in, emotions can overcome every logic in business.
- The best deals and the best sex happens outside of boundaries.
See all the latest news from Greece and the world at Greekreporter.com. Contact our newsroom to report an update or send your story, photos and videos. Follow GR on Google News and subscribe here to our daily email!