25 oz / 700gr Chicken breast
2 cloves of garlic
1 leak (only the white part)
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leafs
5 fl oz / 150 ml red wine
1 can chopped tomatoes
33 fl oz / 1 lt water
1 oz / 30 gr tomato paste
9 oz / 250 gr orzo
Olive oil for sautéing
½ oz / 15 gr Butter
- Place a pot over high heat and add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Add the chicken and sauté for 4-5 minutes and remove it from the pot, transfer to a bowl and set aside until needed.
- Add the onions and sauté until nicely caramelized
- Add garlic, leak and carrot in the pot and sauté for another 3-4 minutes
- Add the sautéed chicken and tomato paste. Sauté the tomato paste for 1-2 minutes to help remove its bitterness. This also helps to thicken the sauce.
- Add the wine and let it evaporate
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes and stir. Then add bay leafs, cinnamon stick, pimentos, cloves, salt and pepper
- Add about 25 fl oz / 750 ml of water
- Lower heat to low and simmer for 45 min, until the meat is very soft and the sauce has thickened. If your sauce is too thick, add a little more water.
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F)
- Grease a pyrex with butter and add the orzo. Tosh the orzo so that the butter sticks on it.
- Pure the chicken and the sauce in the pyrex and bake for about 25 minutes
- When its ready you can sprinkle some mizithra cheese on top (optional)
- Serve and enjoy