Under the direction of Nikolaos Galanis, pupils from the 2nd Primary School of Nafplio dressed in the traditional clothing of their forefathers, emulating some of the heroes of the revolution and the Greek War of Independence.
Heroes such as the pioneers of Filiki Eteria, Theodoros Kolokotronis, Bouboulina, Papaflessas, and so many others who gave everything they had to create the Hellenic Republic.
The students play the familiar protagonists of the national liberation struggle in their natural environment, the city of Nafplio, where the historical figures once actually walked.
The schoolchildren say they are sending a message of unity and solidarity, honoring the heroes and heroines who gave everything, even their own lives, for the freedom of the homeland, says Galanis.
He adds that, the thirst for freedom and independence united all Greeks, rich and poor, intellectuals and illiterates, military and political, merchants and the Church.
Nafplio and its pivotal role in Greek War of Independence
Known by almost every Greek citizen as the first capital city of modern Greece, but inexplicably remaining relatively unknown to the rest of the world, Nafplio is a small city with thousands of years of eventful history and a unique character, full of style and beauty.
Nafplio became the base for the revolutionary Greek government on January 18, 1823, less than two years after the revolution against Turkish occupation broke out.
Four years later, in 1827, the third National Assembly of Trizina designated the city of Nafplio as ”the Cathedral of the Government,” officially making the ancient port Greece’s first-ever capital city.
However, this was at a time when the Greek revolutionary forces continued to fight against each other, as the nation was embroiled in a devastating civil war even before it could be liberated from the Turks.
Due to the civil war and the ongoing confrontations between political factions of the Greek forces, it was decided that the base for the Greek government would be transferred to the island of Aegina, since Nafplio was no longer safe.
This unfortunate situation lasted for two years; so between 1827 and 1829, Aegina served as the de-facto capital of the nascent Greek state.
However, Nafplio remained the ”Cathedral of the Government,” and played the role of Greece’s capital until 1834, when Athens became the country’s new capital city.