Contacts with Turkey’s government Vice President, Bulent Arinc, and the General Directorate of Vakifs preceded and the last application for the necessary approval, which will lead to the final approval of the University’s establishment or not, has been submitted.
The Central Girls’ School was established as gymnasium-lyceum in 1844. In 1999, it stopped providing education due to lack of students. It remained officially open. The damage to the building is great and repair is required.
The University will include schools as Medicine, Health Sciences, Law, Architecture and Philosophical school (Greek philology and psychology), while a research institute will be established as well, as Professor Ersi Kalfoglu reported. Teaching will be in Greek, English and Turkish.
The Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew attended the event and stated his support to this initiative. Apart from the relevant permits, another problem for the University’s establishment is finding funding. From the moment that the Council for Higher Education approves the establishment, all, or at least some of the schools will have to begin functioning.