This visit was realized in the framework of the cultural program Kozanian Peddlers in Middle Europe during the 17th, 18th and 19th century, which searches the main role that Kozanian merchants played when they came to Central Europe, after the Treaty of Passarowitz (1718), which gave them the opportunity to develop free trade conditions.
The teachers Fani Ftaka and Mary Vakali were the coordinators of the program, which looks into the various existing historical archives and into the archives of the historic Library of Kozani. The library is famous for its rich material and is among the three biggest historic libraries in Greece, possessing one of the original copies of the great Charter of Rigas Feraios.
During their stay in Vienna, members of the mission went to the historical Greek Quarter of Vienna in the city center, where they visited the Greek-Orthodox Metropolis of Austria and the Greek National School of Vienna that is housed in the Metropolis and is the oldest school abroad, counting 210 years of existence.
The member of the local Chamber of Vienna, Hannes Harvanek, the Secretary General of the Federation of Greek Associations of Austria, Penelope Kolovou and the President of the Intercultural Association Macedonia, Haris Zikos, all of Kozanian descent, joined the students and teachers in their visit to the historic school.