Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdağ said that, “A Greek citizen saw the fire around 4:30 a.m. when it was first sparked and called the police and the fire department. He then stepped into the fire and saved three people, the grandmother and two children,” Bozdağ stated.
The hero, Christos Kiroglou, is the manager of a nightclub located at the back of the building where the blaze occurred. The fire which swept through an apartment building in southwestern Germany, killed seven children and a mother from a Turkish family who had migrated to Backnang, near Stuttgart, from the southeastern Turkish province of Adıyaman, the newspaper said.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry expressed his condolences to the families of the victims while calling for a quick and comprehensive investigation over the incident. German police said they were investigating an oven in a flat on the first floor of the former leather factory in the town of Backnang near Stuttgart, according to Agence France-Presse. A fire from a stove is another possible cause for the blaze.